WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging services out there. Its global reach has ensured that users stay connected no matter where in the world they are. With the introduction of WhatsApp Groups, users began creating groups with family members or friends. This was a huge success since it enabled groups of people to chat and share ideas and jokes. However, while this was quite useful, it could also be seen as irritating, especially if you were made a member of a group that you had no interest in joining. Receiving pointless good morning messages, lame jokes, and forwards is enough to turn anyone sour.
One good news for all WhatsApp users out there is the new feature that lets you stop people from adding you to WhatsApp Groups. So, how do you set it up? The step-by-step guide is mentioned below. Please note that to do this you must have the latest version of WhatsApp installed. This will work on both Android and iOS devices.
How to Stop Someone From Adding You to WhatsApp Groups
- First, open WhatsApp on your Android or iOS device.
- Make your way to the Setting menu denoted by three vertical dots, located on the top-right corner.
- Select the ‘Account’ tab.
- Within the Accounts tab, you will notice the ‘Privacy’ option. Click on that.
- Tap on Groups.
- Here, you will be presented with three options – ‘Everyone’, ‘My Contacts’, and ‘Nobody’. Select the one that you want and click okay.
How does each option work?
If you select ‘Nobody’, the group admins will send you a private invitation to join the group. You can decide if you want to accept it or not. With ‘Everyone’, things will continue to work pretty much as it does currently where anyone would be able to invite you to join and you would automatically become a part of that group. With the ‘My Contacts’ option, only certain users that are part of your contact list would have the ability to invite you.
How To Stop Someone From Adding You To Whatsapp Groups On iPhone
If you are an iPhone user using WhatsApp, you might be glad to know that there is now an option that allows you to stop users from adding you to WhatsApp groups.
- Open WhatsApp application on your phone.
- Tap on the Settings icon and click on ‘Accounts’.
- Click on ‘Privacy’. Within this option, choose ‘Groups’.
- Similar to Android, you will have three options – Everyone, My Contacts and My Contacts Except.
Here, you can choose Everyone which means anyone would be able to invite you. My Contacts will allow only those on your contacts list. With the third option, My Contact Except, things get a bit different and offer more convenience. You will find that instead of all contacts, you can also choose specific persons who can invite you leaving the rest. This offers a greater comfort zone for the users. Others would be only able to send to a joining invite via private chat. You can choose to accept or deny the invite. This invite would only be valid for three days post which it would automatically expire. In addition to this, WhatsApp is working releasing a ton of new features. Check them out here.