WhatsApp is truly a nice messaging app with lots of cool features. Now you can make both voice and video calls using WhatsApp. It has been used in the day-to-day life of many of us due to its great convenience. Nevertheless, call recording is a feature that has not been provided for the privacy concerns of the users. Obviously, there is a huge risk of misuse and surveillance using this feature. At some point, we need it somehow.
If you desperately want to record your WhatsApp calls, you need to do a few workarounds. It also varies as per the smartphone you have been using and it is not a foolproof option. Meanwhile, it is your best bet. We have discussed a few of the best ways to record WhatsApp calls on both iPhone and Android.
Note – Before going any further, let us be clear that you need to take informed permission from the caller before recording. We expect that you will not breach the law or user’s privacy by recording calls secretly.
With that said, let’s get started…
Since the process of recording WhatsApp call varies on iOS and Android devices, we have suggested different processes. So, if you want to read the steps specific to your iPhone, you may skip to the next section.
Recording WhatsApp Calls on Android
There is no specific approach to record WhatsApp calls on every Android phone. Some devices come with VoIP call recording features while some do not. You may want to find out if your device supports that feature. If not, you just have to read on to know how to record WhatsApp calls on your android.
Keep in mind if you are using Android 9 Pie on your device, chances are less that it may allow recording because there are some restrictions on the OS level.
Method 1 – Using Cube Call Recorder ACR
Cube Call Recorder is one of the highly recommended apps for recoding all your outgoing and incoming calls with VoIP calls like those that you do on WhatsApp. This app also supports Viber, Skype, Line, IMO, and Telegram. Here are the steps to use this app –
- If it is not installed, simply download and install the Cube ACR app from the Google Play store.
- Open the app.
- The Welcome Screen will show up. Tap the “Next” button. Allow this app to listen to Audio Calls, Save Call Recording, and detect outgoing and incoming calls.
- It will ask for permission to use the VoIP call recording if your device supports one. You need to record calls directly via Accessibility Services. Otherwise, an error message will show up that “VOIP calls recording is not supported on your device. The feature is disabled.”
- If VOIP call recording is disabled, tap on the hamburger icon (Menu bar).
- Go to Settings > Recording.
- Scroll down to VOIP recording and turn on “Ignore VoIP Support Check”
- Tap on the “I Understand” button and tap “Enable App Connector” on the next screen.
- Turn on the “Cube Call Recorder app connector” under Accessibility Services.
- Whenever you get any call on your WhatsApp or your phone, it will start recording automatically. You can also change auto recording for any call from the floating icon on the screen.
- You can go to Menu to check other settings.
Along with VoIP calls, you can also record basic cellular calls using this app. Call recording on WhatsApp works smoothly, especially on Redmi Note 6 Pro and Mi A1, based on our testing. You do not even have to change its default settings.
Other Third-party apps for WhatsApp audio call recording
Real Call Recorder and Messenger Call Recorder are other apps you can use to record your WhatsApp calls.
Method 2 – Using Screen Recorder Apps to Record WhatsApp Video Calls
You can record video calls over WhatsApp easily using different screen capture apps. Here are some of the free and best screen capture/recording apps to record video calls on WhatsApp –
- AZ Screen Recorder
- DU Recorder
- Mobizen Screen Recorder
The basic features are very similar in these apps.
Recording WhatsApp Calls on iPhone
In terms of privacy, iOS is even stricter than Android. Therefore, it has left no simple way of recording calls on both cellular and VoIP apps. However, there is a hack that can help you get things done. It takes a lot of effort. You will need an iPhone, a Mac system and another smartphone having a WhatsApp account.
It is a tedious process. Your secondary smartphone can be either iPhone or Android. Your primary iPhone will be connected to the Mac to conduct call recording. Hence, you need a secondary device to make calls.
- First of all, you need to connect iPhone to Mac and allow important permissions. Open QuickTime and go to the File menu. Select your iPhone as a source under “New Audio Recording” and click the record icon.
- Make a WhatsApp call from your iPhone to your secondary device having WhatsApp account. Once it is connected, use the group-calling feature on WhatsApp to add the person you would like to talk to.
- Now you can keep the conversation going with the secondary device. Once conversation is finished, stop recording and save it from Quicktime to Mac.
Note – Make sure your iPhone is connected to your Mac during the conversation. Also, ensure that all three numbers are active when doing group calls. If any device is disconnected, the recording will be stopped.
This is all you need to do to record WhatsApp calls on iPhone. We hope the above steps will help you.
As discussed earlier, recording WhatsApp calls is not that simple. We can just expect that it will be even more difficult due to the ongoing privacy controls. It is already next to impossible on iOS to record voice calls and Android is eventually making a move in this direction.
Feel free to tell us if the above steps have helped you to record VoIP calls. What are your opinions on these privacy controls to keep users from recording calls? Leave your thoughts on the comment section below.